Saturday 21 May 2011

WMS 2nd birthday tea party

Very last minute, but I made it!

Waltzingmouse Stamps is turning two today and Claire is celebrating with a tea party! To participate all we have to do is bring with us our own tea bag or piece of cake using Waltzingmouse's templates (the tea bag is a free template!). And there is an amazing prize for a random winner - £200 of Waltzingmouse goodies!!!!! To see the wonderful creations that are contributing to the party and to participate as well, click here.

So I prepared the following piece of cake:






It's the first time that I use a template and the quilling technique... but definitely not the last one!

The template is the Piece of Cake one I got a few days ago (but you can use the free tea bag template instead).

For the topping, I wanted to make something looking chocolate-y, as I will give this to my cousin for her name-day and she just loves chocolate (yes, I will fill up the box with chocolates ;o)). I remembered some chocolates made with the quilling technique that I saw a few months ago in one of the cards magazines (I don't remember which one!), so I thought I would give it a try. So the topping is made with the quilling technique - curled the stripes of paper into spirals and then cut them in small pieces, so that they would resemble chocolate flakes (caution: it does require some patience to make them!).  I decided to keep the rest of the cake simple, as I wanted the chocolate flakes to be the main focus.

I wanted the sentiment to look like a chocolate button. The sentiment stamp is from the brand new Dainty Doilies large set and for the bottom liner I used the Big Bloom Chrysanthemums stamps - I received both sets a couple of days ago and was looking forward to using them.

I hope you like it!

Supplies:

White and brown cardstock, heat gut, white and brown quilling stripes, quilling tool


Pin It

6 comments:

freaky said...

What a yummy piece of cake!! I like the choclate on the top. How did you glue the choclate flakes?
hugs, Nicole

Unknown said...

Thank you Nicole!

I covered the top with Tombow liquid glue, dropped the chocolate flakes, pushed them slightly with my fingers and then turned the piece upside down for the excess flakes to fall...

Unknown said...

Oh WOW!! what a neat technique!!! this is soo cool!! perfectly chocolatey!! Thank you so much for taking part in our challenge and good luck in the draw!!

Carola said...

WOW, what a great piece of cake! The paper stripes look like real chocolate and when I look at it, I just get hungry...

snowbear said...

Looks good enough to eat! Great job!

Unknown said...

Thank you all!

I still haven't given it to my cousin, it sits on my living room's table... and I'm on diet! argh!

Good thing I'm meeting my cousin tomorrow ;o)

Post a Comment